Friday, September 21, 2012

Superman and me


I most identified with Superman and Me by Sherman Alexi. This narrative was about a little Indian boy seeing his father love books at an early age and following his father’s love for books. Books excited him, so he spent all day and night reading books and becoming literate. Indians were supposed to be stupid so his classmates taunted him for being intelligent. What drew me in the most is that he learned how to read from a simple comic strip and that was the foundation for the elaborate writer he is today. I learned how to read from a combination of Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss and Danny and the Dinosaur by Sydney Hoff. Repetition was the key to get me to comprehend and become literate, literacy is just as important to me as it is to Sherman Alexi because reading is fundamental, if you can’t read you really can’t do anything. Before I could read the words, I too would look at the pictures and create my own stories based on what I saw going on. Its crazy how a child sometimes can imagine up a better story than the writer of the book they are looking at. 

1 comment:

  1. It's true that "reading" before you can read, really helps with literacy development.

    Glad to hear you had a connection to this story. Nice response.

    ReplyDelete