Dear 16 year old
Jasmine,
When I was 16 I said some pretty hurtful
things to my best friend. She wouldn’t come see a movie with me so I started
screaming at her and saying that she was a horrible best friend. I said she was
selfish because she only wanted me to do what she wanted to do, and never went
along and participated in activities that I liked. I started saying that she
dragged me to a concert that I didn’t want to go to, but I went because I knew
that she loved the band. I said that I had repeatedly wasted money accompanying
her places that only she wanted to go to.
After a few minutes of going on and on,
she began to cry. She felt like I didn’t want to be her best friend anymore and
that I hated her. In all reality I hadn’t previously mentioned things I wanted
to do, I always just agreed with her plans. Since she was more vocal about what
she wanted, she got what she wanted. I began to feel horrible because this
whole argument was not her fault, but in fact my own. I just expected her to
read my mind and accompany me to all of the events and activities that
interested me but I never communicated that to her.
If I could go back in time, I would have
communicated to her better. I wanted her to start doing more things that I
liked, but I would have told her that in a totally different way. I realize now
that screaming at someone is the wrong way to get your message across and it
hurts the other person’s feelings. I’m so grateful that we are true best
friends and was able to get past that whole ordeal but to this day I still feel
guilty about what I said. I hurt her because I was angry and said whatever,
however I wanted to say it. I would have waited to talk to her after I had
calmed down from her denying my movie invite, because when someone is angry
they say things they really don’t mean. Lastly, I would have thought before I
spoke because I love her and I would never do or say something to hurt her.
As of right now, I can't really say much about your content since it's your memory and your personal advice to change what happened. But something you can do to make the paper longer would probably add more memories (even though she just asked for one)and probably describe the situation more, maybe even some dialogue if it's appropriate.
ReplyDelete