Jasmine Smith
October 12, 2012
MWF 8am
The
most logical place for me to begin my timeline was when I was a newborn. From
there I went through each stage of literacy from then to now. I was able to
recount so much information that I found my timeline overflowing. My timeline
revealed my back and forth struggle with becoming literate. I would have a
breakthrough one minute and encounter problems with reading the next. This
pattern was prevalent throughout my whole timeline. The theme throughout my timeline
was definitely my focus on becoming literate through reading and writing. Books
played a major role in helping me become literate, I didn’t really learn
through music or other activities. My timeline was all over the place and too
long to be a narrative. I decided to focus on my experience with becoming
literate through school. It wasn’t that hard to focus on school because most of
my experiences were linked to school anyway. The experience of creating a
timeline told me that I am a fighter. No matter what obstacle was thrown at me,
with the love and support of my parents I was able to get past it.
I
narrowed down an area of focus for my written narrative by just focusing on
every defining moment I had in school that was related to literacy. It was hard
to focus my thoughts, because I found myself wanting to focus on every moment
and detail in my life that had to do with reading and writing. I organized my
narrative chronologically; I basically just followed my timeline and added
details to the events. I elaborated on events listed on my timeline so I could
have a full narrative. My peer review session really helped me, they told me to
focus on one theme instead of multiple ones. She gave my paper more structure
and told me to elaborate more on certain things instead of being so vague. Once
I made those few changes, my paper began to come to life. At this point, I saw
exactly how I wanted my animoto video to go. Making the video turned out to be
a lot harder than I thought.
Creating
the animoto video was really hard, because a limited amount of characters were available
to describe your story of how you became literate. My peer editor picked out
fifteen sentences, but I found that they were all much to long to display on my
video. I tried to cut a lot of the sentences, but I found that the sentences
lost their significance when I deleted words. This began to frustrate me,
because my story was turning into a video full of words that meant absolutely
nothing. I finally realized how to reduce the size of a sentence and keep all
of its meaning, but some of the sentences simply would not work. I found myself
using other sentences in my narrative that fit better with telling my story
through video. I used pictures in my video to compliment the sentences in the
previous slide. It was a way to emphasize the message in the text slide. I used
a lot of personal pictures, because what pictures can better describe me than
me. The ones I used off of the Internet were just pictures of books to help the
audience put a picture with a word. The song I picked for my background music was
a song that said, “Don’t you know there has never been anyone like you and
never will be again?”. This music spoke to me because throughout school I found
it hard to just be me. I constantly looked for acceptance and ways to fit in.
The song was all about being yourself and loving yourself through your flaws
and everything. Loving yourself is so important especially when you are young
and unsure of who exactly you are. You can just be you and that’s enough.
Throughout becoming literate, I often found myself thinking I was stupid or not
good enough because other people could read better than me, or write better
than me. However, I now know that everyone is different and everyone moves at his
or her own pace and that is okay. If it were one thing about my animoto video
that I wish I could change, it would be adding more personal photos. I feel
like that gives your video more of a warm feeling and makes it more relatable
than a person’s with a lot of internet photos.
No comments:
Post a Comment